Full Stack Engineer
Wonderschool is building a platform to bring preschool to millions of children who don’t have access today. We partner with preschool teachers to open neighborhood schools in their own homes. Most preschool teachers struggle with starting a business, so we handle the planning, marketing, and business administration so they can focus on being a great teacher. In the process we’re also building the largest network of preschool teachers in the world.
Our tech is focused on creating an efficient marketplace for families and preschools, and providing web and mobile tools for teachers to promote their programs, handle paperwork and payments, and communicate with their families and fellow teachers.
Our stack is Elixir/Phoenix/PostgreSQL on the server and React/React Native on the front-end. Today we’re a ten person team: three engineers, a product designer, a Head of Early Childhood Education, and five business operations team members.Wonderschool is based in San Francisco and venture backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Omidyar, Gary Community Investments, First Round Capital and a number of other respected Seed and VC firms.
The early childhood education market is incredibly underserved, and there is far more demand than supply for quality preschools and daycares today. By helping teachers start their own schools, take control of their careers, and make more money than the industry average, we plan to transform the way we provide early childhood education in America.
WHAT YOU WOULD WORK ON
- Improve the web architecture for our products
- Develop, iterate, test, ship and maintain web and mobile tools for teachers and families as well as internal tools.
- Database tuning
- Full stack development; you are able to roll up your sleeves and help the team on back-end or front-end development when needed
WHAT YOU WOULD HAVE BUILT LAST MONTH
- An API and background service to let teachers automatically calculate and charge monthly tuition
- The database design and APIs for a school profile builder to make pages like this: https://www.wonderschool.com/openminds
- A file upload service for both secure files (like family documents) and public files (like photos)
- An API to forecast a school's cash flow over the next six months
- Nice to have: you've interned in a startup environment
- You regularly use automated build and deployment tools
- Strong commitment to quality designs, automated testing, and documentation
- Good communication skills in English, both written and spoken
We like to move fast through this process. We can go from phone call to offer in 3-4 business days from receiving the coding challenge.
- Mission driven company and culture
- Full medical, dental, and vision
- Ability to work remotely
- 401k Plan