Senior Full Stack Engineer
Wonderschool is building a platform to bring preschool to millions of children who don’t have access today. We partner with preschool teachers to open neighborhood schools in their own homes. Most preschool teachers struggle with starting a business, so we handle the planning, marketing, and business administration so they can focus on being a great teacher. In the process we’re also building the largest network of preschool teachers in the world.
Our tech is focused on creating an efficient marketplace for families and preschools, and providing web and mobile tools for teachers to promote their programs, handle paperwork and payments, and communicate with their families and fellow teachers.
Our stack is Elixir/Phoenix/PostgreSQL on the server and React/React Native on the front-end. Today we’re a ten person team: three engineers, a Product Designer, a Head of Early Childhood Education, and five business operations team members.
We’ve raised a seed round from First Round Capital, Omidyar Network, 500 Startups and a number of other amazing venture capital firms.
The early childhood education market is incredibly underserved, and there is far more demand than supply for quality preschools and daycares today. By helping teachers start their own schools, take control of their careers, and make more money than the industry average we plan to transform the way we provide early childhood education in America.
50% of our Product Team is remote and we are open to a remote engineer for this role
WHAT YOU WOULD WORK ON
- Define and constantly improve the web architecture for our products.
- Develop, iterate, test, ship and maintain web and mobile tools for teachers and families as well as internal tools.
- Database design, analysis, and tuning
- Full stack development; you are able to roll up your sleeves and help the team on back-end or front-end development when needed.
WHAT YOU WOULD HAVE BUILT LAST MONTH
- An API and background service to let teachers automatically calculate and charge monthly tuition
- The database design and APIs for a school profile builder to make pages like this: https://www.wonderschool.com/openminds
- A file upload service for both secure files (like family documents) and public files (like photos)
- An API to forecast a school's cash flow over the next six months
- 4+ years working with a software engieering team
- Nice to have: you've previously worked in a startup environment
- You regularly use automated build and deployment tools
- A sense of ownership and ability to drive issues and new ideas
- Understanding of tradeoffs in database and infrastructure design choices
- Strong commitment to quality designs, automated testing, and documentation
- Good communication skills in English, both written and spoken
We also have a coding challenge (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8icefhbj8w39t20/AAAIuaN...) that you can try for fun or if you want to make your application stand out. You can email it to [email protected] and if you any questions, you can email us there as well.
- Arrel (Co-Founder) and Jake (1st engineer at Wonderschool) review resumes
- Chris (Co-Founder) schedules a 15-30 minute introduction call
- Candidate completes take home coding challenge (https://workable.com/nr?l=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dropbo...) and submits to [email protected] (If you are really excited about the role and want to get fast tracked for this position please feel free to complete the coding challenge and submit prior to hearing from us)
- 30-45 minute introduction to engineering team call with Arrel
- 45 minute - 1 hour Coding interview with Arrel or Jake
- 3 phone interviews (or in person if you are in the Bay Area) with the operations team to learn about the day to day operations of Wonderschool and them to learn about your prior experience working on teams
- 2-3 reference phone calls
We like to move fast through this process. We can go from phone call to offer in 3-4 business days from receiving the coding challenge.
- Mission-driven company and culture
- Full medical, dental, and vision
- Ability to work remotely
- 401k Plan
- We anticipate a salary of $135,000 for this role.