Senior Full Stack Engineer
In California alone, 75% of kids are unable to find a spot in a childcare program and early childhood teachers earn around $38,000 per year. Wonderschool is building a platform to solve both these problems. Our mission is to ensure every child has access to early education that helps them realize their potential. We’re bringing high-quality childcare and preschool to millions of children who don’t have access today, and creating opportunities for teachers to do what they love while doubling their income.
We partner with teachers to open neighborhood schools in their own homes. We support teachers through licensing, marketing, and business administration so they can focus on what they do best - delivering great care and quality education to students.
Our tech is focused on creating an efficient marketplace for families and preschools through web and mobile tools. Teachers can promote their programs, handle paperwork and payments, and communicate with parents and fellow teachers. Parents can explore programs, schedule tours, and submit payments that are fast and secure. Our stack is Elixir/Phoenix/PostgreSQL on the server and React/React Native on the front-end.
Wonderschool is based in San Francisco and is backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Omidyar Network, Gary Community Investments, First Round Capital and several other top-tier investors.
Open to remote engineers that are strictly U.S. based.
WHAT YOU WOULD WORK ON
- Define and constantly improve the web architecture for our products.
- Develop, iterate, test, ship and maintain web and mobile tools for teachers and families as well as internal tools.
- Database design, analysis, and tuning
- Full stack development; you are able to roll up your sleeves and help the team on back-end or front-end development when needed.
WHAT YOU WOULD HAVE BUILT LAST MONTH
- An API and background service to let teachers automatically calculate and charge monthly tuition
- The database design and APIs for a school profile builder to make pages like this: https://www.wonderschool.com/openminds
- A file upload service for both secure files (like family documents) and public files (like photos)
- An API to forecast a school's cash flow over the next six months
- 4+ years working with a software engineering team
- Nice to have: you've previously worked in a startup environment
- You regularly use automated build and deployment tools
- A sense of ownership and ability to drive issues and new ideas
- Understanding of tradeoffs in database and infrastructure design choices
- Strong commitment to quality designs, automated testing, and documentation
- Good communication skills in English, both written and spoken
Wonderschool invests in our people and our culture. We provide our employees with full medical, vision, and dental benefits, option to contribute to a 401K plan, and equity in our company.