Head of Strategic Finance
At Wonderschool (www.wonderschool.com) our mission is to provide quality childcare to every child in the world. There is a major shortage of childcare and preschools in the United States and we believe one of the best ways to increase access for families is to grow supply through starting in-home child care and preschools. We work with talented teachers and parents to start high quality, licensed, in-home early childhood programs. We provide assistance with licensing, setting up a classroom, setting pricing, building a website, managing payments, and everything in between. Our software allows teachers to manage their students, parents, and their school from one dashboard; reducing administrative stress and burden, and allowing teachers to focus on what they do best – caring for and educating children. Parents come to Wonderschool to find programs, schedule visits, enroll their children, and make payments.
We currently have a presence in the greater New York area and in the West Coast and are focused on partnering with additional talented educators and caregivers to offer programs in their communities.
Wonderschool is based in San Francisco and venture backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Omidyar, Gary Community Investments, First Round Capital and a number of other respected Seed and VC firms.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As the Head of Strategic Finance at Wonderschool you will be the go-to person on everything related to unit economics, finance, accounting, burn analysis, and projections. We work with a great third party accounting team and you will work with them to get the information needed to run monthly reports.
This is a full time job based in San Francisco, CA. We are not looking for remote team members. You will report to the CEO.
The best candidate for this role is energized and passionate about working at an early-stage mission driven startup.
You have worked at an Investment Bank or accounting firm in the past, and you have experience in a finance, accounting, or controller role at a startup. You’ve either been a finance leader at your organization or you have the relevant experience to step up to that role.
You understand P&L’s, cash flow statements, burn analysis, and unit economics cold. You can explain our finances to the executive team, employees, and investors with ease and you understand how to tailor the message to each constituent.
You are excited about doing more than just finance. You want to think about legal, product, compliance, and growth decisions.
- Strategy: You will help us determine our burn rate, determine which directions to take the business, build finance dashboards, etc.
- Board meetings: You will prepare materials for board meetings, attend board meetings, and will be the finance point of contact for board meetings.
- Burn Analysis: Track burn and report to executive team and investors
- Unit economics: Lead of all of our unit economics modeling. Manage LTV, CAC, Payback Period for different cohorts of customers.
- Detailed tracking: Track spend across every school to assess opportunities and risks
- Measurement: Track variable expenses across the company and identify areas for efficiencies
- Manage: Manage third party accounting team and hire additional contractors when necessary.
- Projections: Build projections to assist in decision making
- Contracts: Work with legal contractors to draft contracts, review contracts, and sign off on contracts
- Negotiate: Negotiate third party contracts with vendors and service providers
- Experienced: 6+ year finance experience
- Have been the Head of Finance lead or a manger for 2+ years at a startup
- 2+ years Investment Banking, FP&A, controller, or accounting experience
- Mastered financial modeling with Excel
- Strong communicator with team and investors - both oral and written
- Must live in San Francisco or nearby suburb. We are looking for a new colleague who can make it to the office daily.
- Private equity experience
- A JD
- SQL experience
Wonderschool invests in our people and our culture. We provide our employees with full medical, vision, and dental benefits, option to contribute to a 401K plan, and equity in our company.